Thursday, November 17, 2011

Goose Bumps and Butter flies

Whenever I hear the live version of "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" with the crowd noises at Shea Stadium I get goose bumps.  Throughout the entire song I am all tingly each time the sweaty, frothing girls kick it up a notch.  I can feel the bumps on my arms and legs with my face flushing and the tingle goes up my neck to the back of my head.  It is sort of like the first time someone kisses you between your clean toes.  I am not sure anatomically what goose bumps are or what they are actually trying to do.  During my senior year of high school football, each game we would run out on the field and the crowd would usually make us feel wanted and needed.  At the beginning of every game I developed goose bumps.  I get them whenever I watch a film of Jessie Owens winning the 200 meters while Dolf Hitler is in the crowd at the 1936 Olympics in Berlin.  So much for the Aryan race.
Sometimes I get butterflies while I am goosebumping.  (Not to be confused with Goose Bumping, that is an entirely different thing.)  Butterflies are more of a stomach thing associated with fear or anticipation.  I developed them at most sporting activities I participated in.  Whenever I walked up to the plate in baseball, my mouth would dry up and my stomach would ache.  Anticipating fear caused the worst butterflies.  Bad report cards or test, police in your driveway when you get home or noises in the middle of the night that sound like a water buffalo is in your kitchen usually give me butterflies. I feel like Don Knotts in "The Ghost and Mr. Chicken".  It is funny, the butterflies go away about the same time the pain starts.  (Not real funny)  Sometimes I would just be walking home and I would get butterflies.  I figured it was a sort of sixth sense and so I would check my balance, alert my senses and start walking like a ninja.  Some mean ass grasshopper would jump out of a bush and land on my head and I would pass out from not breathing while my senses were on high alert.

The butterflies would be gone when I regained consciousness.  The goosebumps would start from all the people that were laughing at my antics.  Just another day in Psychosis City.

No comments:

Post a Comment