Thursday, June 30, 2011

The Coen Brothers

I have a few questions:

How do they write this stuff?  It is awkward. The literature is treated with violence even more than the characters are.  How do they get away with the stereotypes and the vivid treatment they endure. 

How do they combine randomness and continuity into a movie about a bunch of goof balls.  IT IS PURE GENIUS.

There is a lot of talk about Jeff Bridges in their movies.  I am still reeling about Holly Hunter.  She is everything the Coen's writings are.  She is as beautiful and complicated as the stories themselves, a petite tight body that wastes nor hides anything like their sculptured scripts and with a crooked mouth she delivers the twisted dialog effortlessly.   She is as masterful at acting as they are at creating movies.

I wish I could write like they write.  I aspire and practice.  Someday, I hope to birth a complete sentence near the quality of the Coen brothers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment