Friday, September 16, 2011

Friday Science: Random Numbers

I remember when I was working with my TI-994A and writing a little program that required a random number.  My brother said to me; "I wonder how random that number really is".  It turns out, there is no mechanical means to generate a truly random number.  If I am asked to pick a number between 1 and a 1000, that would be random but a machine or computer uses a reference point to randomness.  I does not have Tourette Syndrome so it just cannot blurt out a number at random. 

I have been posting five articles a week for nine months with the subjects being random.  Are they random articles?  Are they at all related to the news of the day.  If I kept this up for twenty years would there be patterns?  There would be.  There would be a clear trend to madness and psychosis.  I am pretty sure most things I think of are not random.  I do not believe in coincidences and that would imply some level of randomness.  If I wake up on the wrong side of the bed, maybe the posts I create on those day will be more satirical than humorous or may lack humor all together which seems to be a problem currently because I feel like I woke up under the bed. 

I think I am talking about random numbers because I am confused a lot lately and some of the thoughts I have must be random.  Yesterday, I found myself thinking about raccoon shit.  Last week I caught myself wondering if the tongue of a giraffe is comparatively longer than that of a hummingbird.  These must be random thoughts.  Here is a thought of randomness.  Do the Walmartians shop for cloths at Walmart because I have never seen some of those cloths for sale anywhere on the planet?  Whoever said orange was the new pink was seriously disturbed!

O wonder if anyone has checked Tourettes to see if the outbursts have any randomness to it.  Off I go randomly.

No comments:

Post a Comment