Wednesday, September 14, 2011

The Constitution: Twenty First Amendment

Section 1. The eighteenth article of amendment to the Constitution of the United States is hereby repealed. Section 2. The transportation or importation into any State, Territory, or possession of the United States for delivery or use therein of intoxicating liquors, in violation of the laws thereof, is hereby prohibited.
Section 3. This article shall be inoperative unless it shall have been ratified as an amendment to the Constitution by conventions in the several States, as provided in the Constitution, within seven years from the date of the submission here of to the States by the Congress.


Basically:
You can now drink alcohol.
You cannot transfer it between States without regulation.  The States control alcohol consumption and commerce. 
The Government decided that it had no business in the issue of controlling alcohol.  Many of the leaders of this country ignored this law.  It was a mockery.  Kind of like the privacy laws of this time in our history.  Now, I really could not care if They tap my phone or read my emails.  I do not care if they know how many guns I have or what kind they are.  I do not even care if they are telling me what kind of light bulb to use (which they are not); if they want to take food out of my mouth or enslave my children, then I care.  Do not tell me I cannot drink, smoke, or use drugs.  The Government should warn me of the dangers of said drinking, smoking and drugs.  Not with films like Refer Madness but with logical consequences kinds of stuff.  As a teenager I am not going to let you know I am listening but I am.  Do I have to point out everything to the government, YES!

This Constitution Review thing is very hard on me.  I can hardly go through the day after I read what the Founding Fathers were probably thinking and then how we had to clarify it with the amendments which are just not needed if people would just keep in mind "we are trying to sustain an institution of truly remarkable possibilities.  

The repeal of the Eighteenth Amendment was a good test of the system.  Well done.

No comments:

Post a Comment