Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Forgetfulness

I was watching a Richard Pryor video the other day and I laughed just as hard as I did the first time I heard it.  I did not remember that I had heard it while I was watching it.  About a day later I realized that I had heard all those jokes before.  Well, most of them.  "Thats ok" I thought.  It just added to the enjoyment of the moment.  I guess that is why old people  tell jokes over and over again.  Even if half way through a story they realize they have told this many times, they just keep plugging along and everyone laughs and the old dude with a diaper is the center of attention for a nice reason.

My kids used to try to fool me by saying, "remember dad, I told you I was going to Kerry's house and I would be home about 2:00 am."  Having not remembered any part of this I would say " I remember you saying something about Kerry being a homo but nothing about 2AM".  "Oh Dad, remember, I said they were having a sleep over and you said I could not stay because I had Saturday School but that I could stay out a little later than normal."

"Saturday school?"

"For being late to class, remember?"

"So let me get this straight, you could not stay at Kerry's house because you had detention for being late to third period and you were late coming home from Kerry's house which you could not stay at because you were late.  Do you see a pattern here?"

"Yeh, you are mean for no reason"

"While we are on the subject, explain to me how you can be eleven minutes late to class when you have been at the school for two hours already.  It is a three room school house, for the Jewish Carpenter's sake."

A tactical change of subject is attempted.  "I was not late from Kerry's house"  I did not fall for his tack because I have not been listening to his bullshit in the first place so I blurted out.  "Have I met Kerry and where does he live?" knowing full well I have not met HER and she probably lives only in his mind.  He was just dickin around and lost track of the time.  I do not need a memory for that one.

He does not remember he tried this same thing about a year ago!



No comments:

Post a Comment