Friday, March 29, 2019

King of the Road

 Technnically, this was not the first song in my head this morning.  I have not had a song in my head in the morning, the premise for this blog, for six days.  I am worried that my mental functions are changing.  I am almost sixty-one years breathing.  My mom recently died with dementia as a main cause. Although I am still challenging my mind with new ideas and processes, I cannot remember shit.

Many years ago I was introduced to the concept of "pro-active interference".  As I remember it, (hopefully)  generally current ability to remember things is related to what memories you already have.  It is a filing system issue.  There was a great, and I mean great example demonstrated on the tv show "Married....With Children where it was discovered that the daughter (a ditsy blond) had 100% recall of memory and information about a subject but with a limited amount of space in her brain.  The father put her on a game show to win a bunch of money if she could answer all the questions correctly.  Well, Her limit was something like 50 questions and they loaded her up with the all possible answers.  Anyway, an instant before she went on the show someone asked her "another" question causing her to push one question and answer out of her brain.  A classic proactive interference reference. 

[ A prominent theory of forgetting at the behavioral level is anchored in the phenomenon of interference, or inhibition, which can be either retroactive or proactive. In retroactive inhibition, new learning interferes with the retention of old memories; in proactive inhibition, old memories interfere with the retention of new learning. Both phenomena have great implications for all kinds of human learning.  This article was most recently revised and updated by Robert Lewis, Assistant Editor. https://www.britannica.com/science/memory-psychology/Forgetting#ref386914  ]

 So, allotting for interference, and general apathy, lack of good sleep and diet, I hope I am not losing my mind because now, lately I rarely have a song in my head when I wake up.

I read this recently.  "The best advice I’ve ever gotten about thinking came from a private-company CEO who has a thirty-year track record that’s up there with Warren Buffett’s. One day he said to me, “Shane, most people don’t actually think. They just take their first thought and go.”"

The important word is "first".  Now, I am a "look while I am leaping" kind of guy.  First thoughts are actual preceded by  action.  Like a horse or a cat's flight reflex.  It is autonomically controlled.  "I will figure out how to land on the way down after I leap off a cliff kind of thing.  It has served me fairly well. 

So, back to King of the Road.  My dad was a huge Roger Miller fan and I followed that lead.  His songs, Roger's, were a big part of my early music life.  We had the old furniture sized turntable with record storage and the latest in high fidelity speakers, record changers and needles.  I was allowed to play records if I was careful to drop the needle cautiously, always hold the record correctly without touching the lines and put the album back in the sleeve when done with it. 

I did all of those things. 



No comments:

Post a Comment