Monday, March 18, 2019

"Happy Together"

This is a song by American rock band the Turtles from their third studio album Happy Together (1967). The song was written by Garry Bonner and Alan Gordon, arranged by Chip Douglas, and produced by Joe Wissert.  I do not really know much about the Turtle but I really get into this song.  It feels to me like something Jackson Browne would write.  It is just conversational lyrics set to a really nice beat. 

I remember this song was on that mix tape my friend  Kary created I guess.  We listened to it as we were dragging main street in his Ford Custom before it blew a piston through the block.  At least that is what he said happened.  I had a copy of the tape in my 8-track player.  These songs from the mid-sixties rock and roll bands gave me an idea of love and longing.  It was great to be trolling for chicks on Main street thinking we were all bad and stuff while listening to :

So happy together
 I can't see me lovin' nobody but you
For all my life....

For kids that have no concept of the rest of their lives, what a great song.  For kids that cannot see where they are going to get the next 50 cents for two gallons of gas enabling them to drag main another twenty times, what an appropriate song.  The big future thing when we were in high school was the Bicentennial in two very distant years, two hundred year anniversary of the United States  and waiting for the  Y2K and George Orwell.  

George was correct by the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment