Thursday, March 14, 2019

"Hold On Loosely"

 This is a 1981 rock song by 38 Special and the first track from their fourth studio album Wild-Eyed Southern Boys. Released as the lead single from the album, the song reached No. 3 on the Billboard Rock Tracks chart and No. 27 on the Billboard Hot 100.

It received a ton of airplay in the south.  I cannot say everywhere else.  Southern Rock was sweeping the country in 1981 and there was plenty of talent to go around especially from the Van Zant family.  I never really was all in for 38 Special.  The music sounded a little too over-produced to me.  I first heard that phrase "over-produced" in a George Martin interview about some work he did for one of Paul McCartney's solo efforts.  He said "Please don't tell me it was over-produced" about the effort.

Hold on Loosely was played for many years and too many times.  I think that if it would have been released in 1991 instead of 1981 it may not have even been a hit song.  It violated one of my song rules, #4 which is:  Keep it simple.  Some of the old Irish limericks have 39 verses or more.  Now I understand the purpose was to tell a story probably before most people could read or afford a book but a song must KISS it.  By the way, rule #6 is: Use historical references in the song so that people will not think your band is just a bunch of uneducated crack goofs trying to get a piece of ass.  The rule is technically not that descriptive but you get the idea.

This song did use rule #3: Use catchy phrases your grandparents could possibly have used.  This usage was a little bit direct but ok.

I always wondered if there was a song that went, "What else is a dog to do......Bury the bone!  

No comments:

Post a Comment