Thursday, March 7, 2019

"Alone"

 This is a song composed by Billy Steinberg and Tom Kelly. It first appeared via Steinberg and Kelly's 1983 pet project, I-Ten, on Taking a Cold Look. It was later recorded by Valerie Stevenson and John Stamos, in their roles as Lisa Copley and Gino Minelli, on the original soundtrack of the CBS sitcom Dreams in 1984.  (I have no memory of this one). American rock band Heart, recorded and released it in their 1987 album Bad Animals, this version was a number-one US and Canadian hit that year. In 2007 Celine Dion recorded it for her album Taking Chances.

I only remember the version by Heart.  I actually woke up with another song in my head but I know it is from the early rock and roll days but I cannot find it on the web.  I have what I think is the end of the hook, "Cause I love you and I know you love me".  Regardless, before I could cement the thought, the Heart song crashed in and for the most part saved me from frustration.  Never fear, I dredged up the frustration this morning and now am searching the internet for answers.  The trail is leading to lots of rabbit holes.  Heart members did not write the song, Mark Andes name came up in the liner notes.  Mark was a member of Spirit and Jo Jo Gunne also with Jay Ferguson,  Firefall and then Heart.  All groups had hit songs while Mark was there.  

Mark Andes opens up another industry rabbit hole of mine.  Having come from a non-music family.   Couldn't carry a tune in a bucked as my dad would say, I notice easily how entire families have musical ability.  I remember the Osborne twins when I was in high school which by the way is changing its mascot name from "Redmen" because it is I guess deemed derogatory, when in fact it was selected to create inclusion of the local Paiute indian reservation people and "Redmen" was always a symbol of strength and power.  Interesting side light which is distinguished from a rabbit hole by its importance and distance from the original universe. All the way back to the top,  Mark's brother, Matthew played guitar as part of the Jo Jo Gunne (follows the rock and roll great name thing).  Of all my friends prior to high school, I did not know if any of them played an instrument.    All, and I mean all of them in high school did.  

Yes it was different states of locations and minds.

No comments:

Post a Comment