Monday, February 4, 2019

Ava Maria

Really.

I went to a funeral last week and they sang this song.  It is such great song and melody.  Franz  Schubert has something to do with it back in 1720 or so and it has been modified, reworked lots of times.  There are several good versions but the Celine Dion version is probably about as good as it can get.  Honestly, it is a little over the top but technically perfect. I could not listen to it on a loop or I would need a sedative to keep from jabbing things in my ears. 

I have very little idea what the words mean.  Schuber only gets credit for the melody but the phrase "ave maria" is in it.  It is complicated and trying to sort it all out and give credit was not going to happen but it did give me a headache.  I have heard people tell me that it is a funeral and Christmas standard in many cultures which is strange because often times (as my parents and family can validate)  I am not listening when people tell me things.  The other thing about Christmas dinners, funerals and wedding is that the same "nice cloths" are worn to each.  I am not a slave to fashion so I really only have one nice outfit in a more demure color scheme and I wear it to life and death events.  I cannot think of Christmas as a beginning of Jesus's life without also thinking of his death, a funeral is obviously a death thing and a wedding is a death to male stupidity and a beginning of a new more enlightened walk so same cloths kind of fits.  The priest's first words at the funeral were "I always  ask, Is she really dead? " 

This song has  been bouncing around my head all morning.  I have not taken the time to put on the headphones and listen appropriately. I will soon since I am nearing a break time in my day.  I am wondering what language I am going to hear it in.  I have a choice of Latin, Germanic, Francoian and Esperanto.  The Esperanto version is not very good.  This particular record sold about 243 copies and most of them in Switzerland.  I made that up.

I would like to hear "Howlin Wolf" sing it in his classical Chicago blues style. 

No comments:

Post a Comment