Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Total Eclipse of the Heart

This is a song recorded by Welsh singer Bonnie Tyler. It was written and produced by Jim Steinman, and released on Tyler's fifth studio album, Faster Than the Speed of Night (1983). Worldwide, the single has sales in excess of 6 million copies[1] and was certified Gold by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) for sales of over 1 million copies after its release, updated to Platinum in 2001 when the certification threshold changed.[2]


The RIAA operates an award program for albums that sell a large number of copies.[13] The program originally began in 1958, with a Gold Award for singles and albums that reach $1,000,000 in sales. The criterion was changed in 1975 to the number of copies sold, with albums selling 500,000 copies awarded the Gold Award. In 1976, a Platinum Award was added for one million sales. In 1989 new criteria were introduced, with a "Gold Award" for singles that reach 500,000 in sales and a "Platinum Award" for singles that reach 1,000,000 in sales; and in 1999 a Diamond Award for ten million sales was introduced.[14] The awards are open to both RIAA members and non-members.[15]

Who gives a shit.  A sale is a sale.

This song plays in my head often, only Freud would possibly know why, parapraxis I guess.  Wikepedia defines it as A Freudian slip, also called parapraxis, is an error in speech, memory, or physical action that occurs due to the interference of an unconscious subdued wish.  This song is imposing and Miss Tyler's voice is very attracting, penetrating. My wife could sing like that before she imposed silence on her singing.  I know most of the words to this song, not in the correct order and scrambled verses but if you asked me do I know the words I would say "mostly".  My daughter knows every word to Disney's "The sword in the Stone", and I know all the words to "The Sound of Music".  Talk about songs in my head, when I lived in the mountains, I used to sing "Climb every mountain, fiord every stream.  I used to think the word was  Fiord every mountain which since I associated both fiord and mountain with some sort of glacial shit. more generally, a fjord is a narrow water body running from a glacier and a steam is a narrow body of water from a river.  Confusion alert.  Ok, honestly, I used the word "ford every stream", driving a bronco across ever stream.

Yes, it continues but not today.

No comments:

Post a Comment