Thursday, February 7, 2019

It's All Over Now

I woke at 4 am with this tune in my head.  It is the Rolling Stones version.  I don't  remember ever hearing any other version but it was written by Bobby Womack.  I always find it interesting when popular groups cover other peoples songs.  Did Mick and Keith not have a good recording session or did they just like the song and wanted to tell the world through an album.  My total ignorance of the music business, which is one of the most destructive in terms of lives lost keeps me searching for answers.  I remember on Lynyrd Skynyrd's album, Second Helping which is one of my top albums ever recorded they had a song, Call me the Breeze (by JJ Cale).  I was stunned that they would do a cover, well I was stunned when I found out it was not an original creation.  "Why"? 

In 1964 when the Rolling Stones covered It's all over now, I was 6 years old and still trying to put the needle down on the turn table without scratching the record and it was not a Rolling Stones record, it was probably a Roger Miller Do Wacka Do song on a 33rpm.  It was an investment in time and energy to listen to music in those days.  Record players got smarter by replaying automatically and I remember the first time we had one that had a lowering lever for the needle arm.  I used to just be amazed at how that needle which soon after was renamed a "cartridge" (subsequently there was a huge price increase) just touched down and the music was released from this vinyl disc. They still sell Shure cartriges, supposedly the best by all the album-heads of the day and they look similar to Pentium processors.  If you just take a wire and place it in the needle spot and put your ear real close to the record, you can hear the music.  It is just a vibration built into the grooves,  I love the Toyota commercial where they embed grooves and bumps in the road and as a car passes over them, it generates a tune. 

That should be a LAW that roads play songs at the proper speed.  Instead of naming them "Interstate 95"  would not it be great to call it "Highway Star" 95" by Deep Purple. "Nobody gonna take my car
I'm gonna race it to the ground...."  The only problem would occur, well not the only problem but the biggest problem is that after the guitar solo part any sane person would be traveling at about 130 mph. 


No comments:

Post a Comment