Tuesday, February 19, 2019

I Only Have Eyes for You

A romantic love song by composer Harry Warren and lyricist Al Dubin, written for the film Dames (1934) and listed as #157 in Rolling Stone magazine's "500 Greatest Songs of All Time (2004)." I think the version I like the best is the one by the Flamingos in 1959.  Art Garfunkel did a great cover in 1975 and I was once again surprised when I found out it was a cover.

It is a great song and I am glad I am not the only one to think so.  There are two reasons this song is in focus today.  The first is because I was singing it when I woke up and secondly because at the same time there was a second song trying to break in to the solitude at 3am.  It was by ZZTop(1979), "I Thank You" is a song written by David Porter and Isaac Hayes originally recorded by Sam & Dave, released in early 1968.  I bring this up because I know a lady that can sing the lyrics of one song to the beat and rhythm of another song and I could almost hear that kind of thing with these two songs.  I can not now but during the REM fog I almost could.

You are here and so am I
       You didn't have to hold it but you did
Maybe millions of people go by

        And I thank you
But they all disappear from view
         You didn't have to squeeze me but you did

And I only have eyes for you!

The song is still playing in my head.  It is being attacked by my thoughts of food.  I think of food almost constantly.  I lost fifty pounds but am finding it extremely difficult to lose ten more.  I know have a duality of thought about weight, like the songs of thing morning.  I try not to judge people and whenever someone is judging they say "but" how can they stay fat?  At the same time I feel like shaking them from a distance and saying "snap out of it, eat bacon and eggs only and you will lose weight" but then I descend or condescend and say, but don't chase it with a soda and some grits.  I do realize that addiction whether food or drug or slothfulness, greed etc are complicated and judging is not a helpful tact.  Rabbit hole closing in on me.

Clarity, lets return to clarity.  A very romantic song but what is with the Sha bop sha bop.  Did Scatman Crothers work on that session.  I am not going to explain that.



No comments:

Post a Comment