Thursday, February 14, 2019

I'm Just A Singer (in a rock and roll band)

This is a 1973 hit single by the English progressive rock band The Moody Blues.  One of the great things about this song and I really guess I mean video is that when the band says "I'm just a singer in a rock and roll ba-and" they are get these really childish grins.  I assume it is because they are really enjoying themselves and "still" cannot believe they are getting paid for this shit.  At least I hope that is what is going on.  There is nothing more gratifying than getting paid to do something you enjoy.  It reminds me of the feeling I had when I was in college and I would walk home thinking out loud, "I just sit there and they jam tons of awesome stuff into my brain, I love it.  I can do this forever."  And since it took me 6.5 years to get a degree I am sure my parents/advisioners thought I may have to do it forever. 

Another great thing about this song is when I was young and impressionable and heard the lyrics "I'm just a wandering on the face of this earth", it chilled my core because they used the word "wandering" as a noun.  It is a powerful word that can be used easily as a verb as in "What are you doing?, Wandering!", an adverb, "I am forever wandering", an adjective, "I am a wandering whore", and in this song, a noun.  "I am just a wandering....".  At twelve years of age, such grammatical assaults are uncalled for and quite abrupt.  I never looked at language the same after that.  I bashed the rules of grammar from then on and till this day.  I have been told that I can really turn a phrase.  

Now if I can just figure out how to get people to read what I write.  Rabbit hole coming up in 5,4,3,2,1, Imagine falling falling like Alice in Wonderland.  When her dressed popped open like a parachute I was about 12-13 years of age and all I was looking at was her bloomers.  What?, one thing I have found is that I am not the only one of the face of the earth that thinks like that.  What about the artist that drew it?  

Check out the Moody Blues, it will not disappoint. 


No comments:

Post a Comment