Thursday, January 31, 2019

Midnight Confession

Yep, way back to 1965 by the Grass Roots.  When I was in high school in the late 70s, a friend of mine had a mix tape 8-track of bands like the Grass Roots, Lovin Spoonful, The Rascals and others.  It also could have been one of those commercials that ran on TV all the time in those days that unheard of record label was trying to sell one hit wonders that they did not make enough money on.  They would package a good song with two or three ok songs and six or eight lame songs.  These commercials were played at night before the test pasterns came on a midnight or whenever. 

I remember dragging main street on a buck of gas in my 1966 Chevy Impala, all six thousand pounds of it with no shocks and nine miles to the gallon.  Five loops through town was about 50 cents worth of gas, 1 gallon in those days.  We would stop to pick up girls and offer to drive them around with the line "Gas, Ass or grass!"  I do not remember getting any ass or grass but I do remember running out of gas a few times.  About eight or nine high school kids could quite comfortably fit in a 66 Impala.  Hell, we traveled 40 miles with six guys in football uniforms, three cheerleaders and a trainer (with a big orange cooler in the trunk full of cool-aid) in a 68 LTD with no rear window.

I loved to sing that song at the top of my lungs, "when I tell all the world that I love you",  not while anyone was around.  Singing those songs in 1975 was like watching Little house on the Prairie.  You just did not reveal that kind of thing not with The Rolling Stones, Eric Clapton and others pumping out hard rock legends.  My friend with the mix tape, Kari was ok with it though.  My eight track player ate that tape about 1981.  I tried to repair the tape but I had lost the touch.


No comments:

Post a Comment