Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Jumpin

Jumpin at the Woodside

This is a Count Basie tune that was popularized to me on the Gong Show which was a TV show created by Chuck Barris  and we will go into that some other day.  The Woodside hotel, according to Wikipedia  was located on Seventh Avenue at 142nd Street in Harlem (and has since been demolished) and apparently it was jumpin.  This tune was first played in 1938.  Count Basie is well known for many great songs and performances. I first heard The Count as I call him on the Tonight Show starring Johnny Carson in the 60s and 70s..

I encourage you to listen to the Gong Show version by Milton DeLugg and the Count Basie version.  Because I have Zero, Zip, Nada musical ability, I am truly mystified by different musical interpretations.   I remember the first time I heard the original acoustical version of "Something" by George Harrison while a member of the  Beatles or the other versions of "Layla" played by Eric Clapton, it sent my mind into a twirl because I now had to accept that just because I liked something and thought it was the best way to do something, now there is other ways of doing things which are as good or possible better. One potential fact about these two examples, Something and Layla, it is rumored these songs are about the same woman at different time in her life and with different men in her life.  Down the rabbit hole we go.

Jumpin at the Woodside was also part of the Hitler youth movie "Swing Kids" in early 1990s.  This is a great movie that did not get enough play in the day especially if you like swing/big band music and history stuff.

In roundorium, this song does get stuck in your head looping around all day.

Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment