Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Insects

9


Enough said.

When I was in college, a professor tried to insight me to become an entomologist by waving a sweet research position at me.  I considered the offer for less than a second.  Well actually, I used my "go back three spaces(or seconds)" card from my pocket Monopoly and said no before he even opened his mouth to make the offer.  I said to the Professor, "I thought you were a bird guy?"  He told me his graduate work was related to insects of southern Patagonia.  "I fell in love with penguins and auks while down there. (most probably literally)

Anyway, I was so freaked out by the movie Starship Trooper that I cannot even look at a bug of any kind.  I can hold a dragonfly as long as he does not move his legs.  Ok, so insects are the bottom of the food chain and an integral part of the worlds' biom.   Well the above cricket could fish salmon on the annual run.  God has a grand purpose for them and for us so I guess I can let them be themselves.  There was a Japanese fighter pilot that after the war, vowed to never kill another living thing.  He included insects, even the ever buzzing mosquito in that proclamation.  As a monk, he could do no other.  I can use a shotgun on that Jiminy.
Better man than me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment