Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Weather

I really do not like weather.  Hot, rain, wind, cold, fog, hurricanes, Low pressure, high pressure, no pressure.  The science of weather is interesting though.  In Florida, you cannot really count on weather predictions any more general than, "It may be nice tomorrow" or "Tomorrow it will be hot". These predictions are probably eighty percent of the forecasts in central Florida.  Lately there has been cold, wind, cold, rain, cold, really cold, fog, cold, rain.  Screw that. I want to get the weather on the State Ballot and have it voted out or sent to another Committee Review Panel where they will give it a slow death. 

I was driving in the rain last night and I hit one of those puddles that are deeper than a puddle should be on the interstate system.  Hydroplaning is similar to peeing in the dark.  You think everything is on target but you worry about ending up too far to the left or right.  My dad used to yell, "Hang on!" or "Here we go!" whenever  he would hydroplane or lose control while driving.  Hang on! was more serious because it meant  gravity was going to be challenged.  During a landslide north of Kolob Canyon, I was sleeping in the back of the 1971 Jeep Wagoneer with my head on the wheel well.  I hear my dad yell, "Hang ON!" and then we ran over something like a tree log in the middle of the canyon road.  Mom screamed and dad informed  us that the whole mountain was washing away.  He added that he was putting the Jeep in Four Wheel LOW.  I was not comforted.  We slid  (hydroplaned) on the mud and rock until we got to this tunnel that appeared out of the cold fog. 

That mountain slide was caused by unpredictable weather.  You were wondering where I had hydroplaned to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment