Monday, March 26, 2012

Talking Crazy

Do you ever talk without thinking?  Yes, I with the exception of our Vice Presidents, Joe Biden and Nelson Rockefeller, am the expert on this type of communication.  The process must begin with honesty and touch of madness.  I am not talking about a turret kind of blurting out although I think it is related.  I am talking about being in a conversation and words come into your mouth without passing through your brain and before you know it, your tongue and lips are moving.  Your see the reviews on peoples faces before your ears relay the words to your brain. 

The other day, I was asking someone to tighten up my ankle bracelet because with my fat ass I cannot reach it, breath and use my fingers at the same time.  So I asked for help and I said without thinking, just move it to the left. The statement came out before I thought about it.  Move what to the left?  Actually, it needed to be moved to the right which is what I wanted to say but for someone facing me, it would be to the left.  I said the correct direction but if I had time to think first, I would have said the wrong thing.  Sometimes I am talking and I do not know I am audiblizing.  Someone was asking me for an answer to some question and they pronounced the word in an awkward way so my mouth said,  "Maybe I could answer you if you could get the pronounsation correct!"  I felt rude and isolated. 

Over the years, I have learned to talk with my hand very close to my mouth so I can stop what my brain cannot.  The most sound that can get out is a mumble and I can explain that away.  Mostly now though, I just do not care what I say.  I do not want to be rude or hurt people's feeling so sometimes I nip it.  The older I get the less I care about how I am interpreted.  I genuinely feel no ill will for anyone, race, creed or color.  I have the baggage of growing up in a mostly white, English speaking America and the over/undertones that come with it.  I root out insensitive or derogatory words and vow not to use or think them.  My hand saves me from reactionary thoughts.

I think this is what it boils down to.  "In the end, hopefully, you will be judged on who your are and not what you say" They may not notice who you really are until your are dead because only then will you have stopped yapping your gums.

No comments:

Post a Comment