Thursday, April 25, 2019

"High On You"

This is a 1985 song by the American rock band Survivor. It peaked at No. 8 on the Billboard Hot 100 the week of March 23, 1985.
I remember Eye of the Tiger, Rocky and all that.  Good movie song but to play it all the time on the radio, that's not right.  They  High on You rotted my brain out for almost a year.

I am glad the hard working boys of Survivor made some good money, really, I am.  I would have paid them not to let that song on the air.  Not that it is a bad song by the rules of music, rule 4 and rule 9 apply.  I guess my dread is the balance between playing a song on the radio and driving nails in my ears to not ever hear that song again.  I thought it was a 38 Special song for years.  I think the  songs of those two groups are annoying in the same way.

I always ask myself the question:  Will this song be requested and listened to in twenty years?  I have had three twenty year periods now and King of the Road still holds up.  One Oclock Jump, Glenn Miller's Moonlight Serenade, Roy Orbison's Only the lonely still hold up.  High on You?

Not so much.


PS.  The worst thing about this type of song, you cannot get it out of your head, ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment