Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Humorless

I watched Comedy.TV yesterday and laughed very little.  I felt the humor was either weak or tasteless, sort of like my humor.  I do not remember laughing yesterday, even when the cat had to get out of the kitchen quickly.  I thought about laughing when my son was decked out in his Indiana Jones getup and he was practicing sliding under the garage door as it closed on him.  He would throw the hat to keep the door open, do the slide, grab the hat and roll out of the way just before the giant slab crushes him.  

I was wearing my Oh Crap t-shirt and there were no comments or  stares from those who passed by.  I could feel the humor running out of the universe with a big hug sucking sound.   It was a slow sucking sound because I think a large celestial cat was stuck on the drain grid of the universe.  I felt only pity for the Walmartians and the Dollar Store devas.  I even watched three episodes of "The Big Bang Theory" only to agree entirely with Sheldon on all issues.  Well, I did chuckle when he was visited by his mother (Laurie Metcalf) as she cuts through his nonsense.

I tried doing some chalk drawing and thinking of Dick Van Dike doing chalk pavement pictures. ( "Mary Poppins" )   Jumping into drawings of another dimension always perks me up.  Humor is gone far away, not just around the corner for a smoke.  It usually hovers dimensionless overhead where I can pick gems as fruit from an endless row of pear trees.  I tried sanding wood, returning to the earth, smelling the evolution of a decades old oak, only to increase my carbon footprint threefold by burning the whole mess in my wood burning stove to provide meaningless heat to and unthankful landscape.  (By the way, the Senator, the 3,500 year old bald Cypress burned down over the week end)  I remember fondly the Senator at Big Tree Park's Joint in the Woods where I went to see the Winters Brothers Band (billed as jonny and edgar)  only to watch a sold out crowd of a thousand drunken dudes and dudettes throwing pine cones at Leroy and Daryl Winters singing Helen Reddy's biggest hits.  I laughed then but not now.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment