Friday, January 6, 2012

Friday Science: The Narwhal

I read three articles the other day and all of them were full of good and new stuff to me.  I am trying to recall what they were and hoping this writing exercise will jog my memory.  It seems like one of them had something to do with Da Vinci.  The other two had a more immediate life.  I even felt the subjects were on the tip of my tongue when I started writing.  Now all I can think of is narwhals and fungi which of course is about on par.

Narwhals are actually cousins of the Beluga whale except they have this quite abnormally large incisor extruding from the front of its face. ( For the longest time I thought these things were simply a myth or extinct)  This protrusion is not a horn but a tooth, like a pig's tusk and just on the left jaw.  There is a regular occurrence of two toothed narwhals but they are rare.  There was probably a three toothed one but it would just get stuck in the mud or accidentally jab itself in the side of some iceberg in hopes of scoring some points with the ladies only to be "baleen on a stick" for a killer whale.

Butt ugly Coelacanth
The tusk can be almost as long as the entire narwhal which I have to say is just dumb.  It goes along with the moose antlers of ridiculous size, the peacock feathers and the ridiculous looking nose of the proboscis monkey.  I can laugh along with God over the duck billed platypus and cry with Him regarding the Coelacanth but did Napoleon have a five foot sword dragging around in the dirt?  Maybe, but he was French.  It sort of reminds me of Little Jimmy Dickens trying to tune that guitar.  

Lets review and close this out.  I can not remember what I really wanted to write about.  I covered the Narwhal enough for any season.  I routinely laugh with God and I mentioned Little Jimmy Dickens.  That should do it for a Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment